This recipe is one of my favorite recipes in late spring and summer. This super fresh salad is an all-about-fresh ingredient salad. This salad is a great partner to chicken roasts or au gratin and makes a wonderful presentation at your family dinner table. I love to use my corn fresh, but you can definitely grill it and enjoy the extra flavor of charring.
How to Cut corn off the cob
In my method, I keep the corn cob in a standing position in a large bowl and cut from top to bottom using a sharp knife while holding the corn stem firmly. After slicing down a strip of kernels, I rotate the cob and repeat until all kernels are cut. Using a bowl instead of a cutting board prevents kernels from flying off everywhere.
How much salt is needed?
Feel free to eliminate salt altogether from this salad since red wine vinegar covers the palate so well that you will not notice the elimination of salt. This makes this salad particularly suitable for people with high blood pressure and who follow a dash diet. I am so excited to share this recipe with you.
- 2 cups corn kernels (from 2 cobs)
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and medium dice
- 4-5 Persian cucumbers, cubed
- ½ medium sweet onion, small dice
- ½ cup wheat sprouts (or any other sprout of your choice)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1-2 tsp honey or maple syrup
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp fine kosher salt, to taste (optional)
- In a large serving bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Preferably, rest in the fridge for 2 hours for the best result. This salad stays fresh for 3-4 days in the refrigerator while covered.